Labels: ,


OFFLINE BLOG PROMOTION STRATEGIES MYSTIFIED-- PART 3

In this post I’ll be concluding my mini-series on the topic of offline blog promotion. Before you get into this last series of tips you might also want to check out Part 1 and Part 2

10. Workshops and Teaching Opportunities – this is something I experimented with in the early days of my blog (with some success). I noticed that my local library was advertising free community workshops in the evenings. The topics being covered were very diverse and ranged from a night for people wanting to visit Morocco (I remember that because at the time we were planning a trip), to a night on how to use email for seniors, to a night on parenting skills.

After attending the Moroccan travel evening I asked the librarian if they were looking for other workshops. She said yes and I booked myself in to run a night introducing people to how to use a digital camera. The night was attended by 50 people – all of whom went away with training materials with my blog’s URL all over them.

Similarly, many organizations like to feature speakers with expertise on different topics. Keep an eye open for these opportunities and while they might not always ‘pay’ you anything financially most will be willing to allow you to promote your blog.

11. Advertise – the idea of advertising your blog online is not unfamiliar to many bloggers who dabble with Advertising on AdWords, StumbleUpon, Facebook, BlogAds etc – however I talked to one blogger recently who had been experimenting with advertising offline.

He had been taking out classified ads in local papers. He’d used a unique URL in these ads so he could track the conversion and had found that it had been well worth the time and money that he’d put into these campaigns.

12. Notice boards – another tactic that I saw recently in a local cafe was to put up notices in public places. Many cafes, libraries, shops and community centers allow people to advertise services and events on notice boards – why not put up something about your blog? This of course will probably work best for blogs with a local focus – but if you target the places right you could also appeal to certain demographics.

13. Talk About It – many people like to keep their blog’s private from friends and family. However those that know you best could well be your best evangelists for your blog! Don’t go on about it all of the time but unless you’re giving away family secrets and blogging about the conversations you have with your best friends – let those around you know about your blog!

These were some good points we had to keep in mind because of increasing competition and I hope you also benefit from them.


0 comments: